Friday, July 30, 2004

My Nephew, The Man

My eldest nephew was born when I was seven years old. I was the youngest in a brood of six, so I really considered Kal more like the younger sibling I never had. We "borrowed" him from his parents as much as we can and kept him with us for days at a time even as a toddler. He was a total sweetheart of a boy, beautifully disciplined by his parents so he was never a headache to have around. He was an adorable little boy, intelligent but never sassy, vocal but never disrespectful, strong-willed but never stubborn or disobedient.

One very distinct memory I have of him is when I took him out on our first "date". He was seven and I was fourteen. I decided to bring him to the movies to see "Supergirl". He sat on my right with his little legs sticking straight out in front him. As the movie started playing, the guy seated to my left started talking to me and kept asking for my name. He was becoming a nuisance and wasn't getting the message that I wasn't interested in anything else but watching the movie with my nephew. Kal notices this and stretches his arm over me and holds the arm of the chair between me and the guy. I realized that the little runt was trying to protect me. He stuck his little chin out and said in the most threatening voice a seven-year-old could muster, "LEAVE MY AUNT ALONE!!!" He said it so loud that the guy got embarrassed, got up and left. His gumption really amazed me. He sensed something was wrong and he was fearless in confronting a man who was double his size. I knew then that he was made of good stuff.

A few days back, he tells me he is going through a most trying time in his life. He poured out all his troubles, concerns and emotions. But as he told me a story that would bring out the ugliest in every person, the actions he contemplated showed deep character and unwavering moral fiber. All of us in our family have gone through similarly trying situations but have not displayed such a mature and loving spirit at that age. He had sought me for comfort and advice, instead he showed me true grace at work. In his darkest moment, my nephew exuded nothing but light. In his deepest despair, he left me inspired. In his most crushing moment, he made me proud.

I salute my nephew. I know he's going to come out of this victorious. With that beautiful attitude, how can he not? I said before that I knew he was made of good stuff. Now, I am convinced. I hope we all learn from him.

No comments: