Friday, July 16, 2004

No More Heroes

I was starting to write something regarding the pullout of Philippine troops from Iraq because of the terrorists' threat of beheading Angelo dela Cruz.  I, too, was hoping that Cruz would say something in Tagalog that the kidnappers would not understand and tell the whole Filipino nation not to give in to the terrorists' demands.  But in this day and age, acts like that are hardly ever seen anymore.  Jose Sison puts it together better.  Here is what he wrote in the June 16 issue of the Philippine Star:
 
"I am not really sure what I will do if I find myself in the same situation as Angelo. I might have also done what he is doing by appealing to the government to save my life for the sake of my family. I don’t know. But every-time I look at the video footage showing him at the hands of his merciless captors, the picture that swiftly comes to mind is that of the late Chief Justice Jose Abad Santos meeting his death bravely and calmly staring at the Japanese kempeitais with deadly samurai blade pressed on his neck. He gallantly gave up his life rather than gave in to their demands and betray his country, As I sat on my comfortable rocking chair in front of the TV screen, I pictured Angelo telling his countrymen and our President: "Don’t heed the demands of these cowards. I am ready to die for my country" I thought that seldom is such opportunity given to any person as that given to Angelo. He would have emerged a greater and larger than life hero had he done that. And he would have spared the country of the shame it is now reaping just because it values the life of even a single Filipino more than national honor.
 
I am not faulting Angelo for what he did. Working in such a dangerous place and putting his life in danger so that his family can live decently is heroic enough. This is more of an indictment on our society. We are no longer capable of producing heroes in the mold of Chief Justice Jose Abad Santos and others like him who gave up their lives for the country. Somehow we have lost our focus in life. We have concentrated more on our temporal concerns and almost forgotten that there is another more valuable life which we may lose if we love life in this world so much. The spirit of true heroism has simply deserted us because we have lost sight of a more sublime life that never ends."
 
I am also pasting the link to Max Soliven's article.  Max Soliven was a friend and colleague of my Dad's.  I always devoured everything he wrote, specially during the days of the Marcos dictatorship.  Here is his take on the latest Filipino fiasco:
 
http://www.philstar.com/philstar/NEWS200407162602.htm 

No comments: