Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Soul Work-Out

Today is a time of reflection for me. I turn ...ty-four. :) Okay, okay, thirty-four ! I look back at my life and it has been quite an exciting ride. I am thankful for everything since I know that every single thing that I have in every sense, comes from God. Yes, I have had more than my fair share of heartaches, sufferings and trials since my single-digit years. I used to ask why I was allowed to go through so many trials which commenced at such an early age. My childhood was idyllic until around my seventh year. After that, it seemed like it was a series of testings, one after another. My young mind was forced to process a lot of things that my school or playmates were yet oblivious to.

Having the rug pulled from under me quite often enhanced my ability to know how to fall correctly. Life Judo, I guess? Getting a headstart on working on those emotional muscles is not completely bad. No one is promised a charmed life so it's good to be well-equipped as early as possible for life's many surprises. I call it Soul Work-Out. Physical trainers always say, "no pain, no gain". Your body will never be toned and defined unless you put it to work. As we have Physical Trainers to keep our bodies trim, we have life's problems for our inner-life work-outs. "No Pain, No Gain" applies to our souls as well. It, too, needs toning and defining. Without these, there will be nothing to check our thought-life, motives, actions and reactions and keep our hearts strong. I have wasted a lot of soul work-outs by sometimes cheating and not doing the proper 'regimen' that goes with it. Those were the times I chose to be bitter with some experiences, instead of better. In my thirty-fourth year, I promised myself I would try and squeeze every lesson that I can get out of a soul-workout. That way, I can learn not just how to fall correctly, but to stay up as often as possible, no matter which direction the rug is pulled. The older I get, the more and more I am convinced that all those trials equip me for something I need to do for someone who is in my life or who will come my way. That's why I know that things always happen for a purpose, a purpose that is higher and wiser than ours.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Pia!
-Dan

Anonymous said...

Before I wish you the best of luck in your soul-out, allow me to greet you a happy birthday first.

-Poll

MadMuse said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone! :)