Saturday, August 07, 2004

A Great Weekend Starter

I love Saturdays. I always look forward to it. And it's not only because I get to wake up when I want. It's because I open my eyes to the smell of bacon and eggs and get served a wonderful breakfast in a tray, in bed. Crispy bacon strips, sunny-side up eggs cooked to perfection, three layers of pancakes topped with whipped cream, dripping with (low-fat) maple syrup! Haha! I wonder if that makes a difference at all. A tall glass of milk tops it all off. Perfect. It's a great way to start the weekend. Hubby has made it a tradition to pamper me on Saturday mornings with that special treat, and I enjoy every morsel and every moment of it. He does it with so much flair that it sometimes looks like a breakfast cart in a five-star hotel. It is quite a feat for someone who claims he doesn't go near the kitchen for fear of setting it on fire. I know it's just a bunch of baloney. For my birthday, he whipped up his first ever attempt of the Filipino pastry called "Sans Rival". It is layers of meringue with roasted and crushed cashew nuts filled with rum-flavored buttercream in between. It isn't called 'without rival' for no reason. I must say it was an unqualified success. It matched all those that I've tasted from the best known pastry shops in Manila. It was the best birthday cake I have ever had! Everyone who had a bite of it raved at how good and rich it was. It has a million calories per serving but well worth the try. Okay, enough about this now. He promised me a massage. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm sounds like heavenly pastry, care to share the recipe??kisses marina

Anonymous said...

BaM! (I like to kick it up a notch!)

Kinkoman said...

Oy, can I get a copy of that Sans Rival recipe too? Thanks. Good to hear that you had a good weekend. Ciao.

MadMuse said...

I found the recipe on this site:
http://dessert.allrecipes.com/AZ/SnsRivl.asp

Those of you who will attempt to make it, enjoy! :)

portia v said...

oh wow yummy! id like some of those too! (i mean the sansrival :P)