Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Strawberry Fields...and a Barbecue

I have a new respect and appreciation for farmers. I have only observed farm work done in my grandparents' farm and sugar plantation long ago but never actually done it. I knew it was hard labor, but I never experienced it until now. Last Friday, we had our annual company Volunteer Day at the Waltham Community Farm. It is an urban 6-acre organic farm for hunger relief. They grow organic vegetables and supply soup kitchens, shelters and food pantries that feed the homeless and help low-income families in and around Boston. One group's task was to "liberate" the strawberry fields that have been hijacked by weeds. I volunteered since I did not want to be stuck with the mundane task of sending out letters to possible donors. Weeding seemed easy enough to me. That is, until we arrived at the strawberry patches. They were not exaggerating. You could not even see the strawberry plants as they were completely overtaken and buried by weeds. We labored and toiled under the sun for hours until the poor plants were free. Boy, being on your knees or haunches in 95-degree heat on a humid day is not easy! Battling those weeds were harder than I imagined. The joints of my forefingers were aching from all the pulling despite the gloves I had on. As the morning came to an end, we were all sweaty and grubby but the strawberry patches actually looked like, well, patches. There were about eighteen of us working the weeds but it took us a few hours to clear everything. No wonder organic produce is so expensive!

In the afternoon, the company brought the volunteers to Thoreau Center and treated us to a barbecue and an afternoon of fun. I was so excited to see a badminton net as I haven't played it in a long time. Much to my frustration, I couldn't find anyone with whom to play some serious badminton. I was then beckoned to play volleyball by the same people I played beach volleyball with last year. It turned out to be a really intense match! I found myself reliving my volleyball days, only my muscles were older and weren't as cooperative as before. I pulled a hamstring blocking a spike from a man who was a foot taller than me. I did not even consider stopping as I was having too much fun. But before long, two more injuries happened which were more serious, so we had to end the game.

I paid dearly for doing too much that day. I was in pain the next three days and couldn't even walk straight. Today, I still feel a bit stiff, but at least it isn't evident to everyone else anymore.

:)

2 comments:

Kinkoman said...

good job with the weed whacking. sorry to hear about your body pains. No pain no gain like I always say. Anyhoot, have a great weekend. Ciao!

Anonymous said...

Liberating the straberry fields sounds like hard work man. I remember my dad used to break out a Coleman blow torch and burn the weeds in our yard to make sure the root and the seeds of the weed were destroyed.

I went to the webpage of the Waltham Community Farm:

http://www.communityfarms.org

They have tips for volunteers. Volunteering there sounds hardcore after reading your blog and the tips they give:
http://www.communityfarms.org/i-volunteertips.htm

I tried to look for you in the pictures:

http://www.waltham-community.org/CommunityFarm.html

-Dan