Wednesday, May 26, 2004

The Doctor Is In

That's a sign I should post outside my door at work. Or I could close it and replace "IN" with "OUT". My office has become a haven for people who wish to vent. Two people do that more than anyone else but there's this one that's very regular. I see her about thrice a week during her lunch break. She strolls in whether I am working or having my quiet time during lunch and starts to talk about her life. During midday, I put myself in "break" mode, nuke my lunch, read a book or go to a website that I am interested in. Then I hear her say, "What's going on?", plops herself on top of one of my drawers and makes herself comfortable. I then have to be polite, tear myself away from whatever pleasure I was indulging in and play therapist at least for the next half hour.

I really am amused sometimes at what other people consider a "problem". I have heard the "problems" of many people and sometimes I really try to suppress a smile because they might think I am trivializing something they consider serious. I know people's feelings are valid even if they're emotionally distraught over something so perplexing as a best friend not calling, or whining because they can't decide if they should buy all the colors available for a pair of pants at Banana Republic. That is when I want to say, "By God, get a life and get a real problem!" It's become so bad that if I hear the person's voice in the hallway at that time of the day, I grab my bag and flee! I find myself window shopping a lot! :)

I really don't mind being a shoulder to anyone at all. I love to be of help to people usually. I have played the role of sounding board/counsellor to many friends and even acquaintances who, later on, become friends. There is satisfaction in seeing people resolve their challenges and grow from it. It's just that if the advice given is never heeded or the issues play like a broken record for months then that's when I become really "busy". I can help someone who's fallen down get up, but I can't be an enabler to a person who has an addiction to self-pity or just to his/her 'self' (I bet you know the kind, it's all about them!). I will not be a permanent crutch to an emotional cripple who doesn't choose to get better. Life's tough enough. It's dang hard keep someone else emotionally afloat! Heck, my degree should have been in psychology. I can at least get paid for this! Arrrgh!

No comments: