Monday, November 12, 2007

We're Open

I never usually invite people to the opening night of any theatre performance, but last Friday was an exception. Aside from Hubby who's always there to support me, I had my mother-in-law, who could not watch the later shows because she was flying back to Florida, and my friend Melissa from Germany, who happened to schedule a visit the same week we were opening.

The King and I opening night went much better than I expected. We had a great crowd and an almost seamless show. The standing ovation in the end was gratifying and so was the first review that came out the following day. The critic was generous in his praise to everyone. Here's his kind snippet about me.

"Pia as Lady Thiang has a phenomenal voice. Her majestic delivery of "Something Wonderful" is breathtaking with the lyrics and music moving Anna to return to the King. Pia gives the role of the head wife the necessary backbone to reprimand Tuptim for her betrayal of the King as well as to convince Anna to stay in Siam."

Hopefully, that inspires all of us to keep peforming with the same energy in the next five weeks although I feel a bad chest cold coming on. I really hope I can recover by the time Thursday rolls in.

5 comments:

Junnie said...

i'd love to see you perform "Something Wonderful". i hope someone recorded it and posted on You Tube...sige I'll check. Swerte naman ni Melissa...kaso kainis yung nangyari sa kanya and Baby M

MadMuse said...

Hi, Junnie! I doubt it's going to be on Youtube...this early on anyway. ;) It was great that Melissa was here for opening night. She actually came back the following night to watch it again.

As for Baby M, I just encouraged Melissa that things happen for a reason so she felt a little better afterwards. She just had some retail therapy and she felt much better. Hehe...

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the fantastic review! Gaya ni Junnie, I would love to see you perform.

mschumey07 said...

Congratulations. I hope you have more success.

Anonymous said...

she's soooooo good! And I am not saying that because we're friends... After I watched the show on the second night (yes, I watched it twice!!!), I heard this guy raving to the Director about Pia's powerful voice.

Galing galing!!!