Thursday, June 14, 2007

My Weight According to Everyone

"Fat," Mom uttered when I showed her our new photos - Katy's, our pup, and my latest headshots, which I think were nice to say the least. She also said, "Your dog is so cute." That's it. No other comment was made.

"So, are you fat?," is the first thing that a sister-in-law said when I talked to her over the phone for the first time in three years.

"You got fat," a former schoolmate nicely volunteered after looking over another set of photos.


What is it about Philippine old school ways and their obssession with everyone's weight? It's practically the first utterance out of someone's mouth the moment they see you if you haven't seen or talked to each other for a while. I know it's meant in affection most of the time and I usually take it in stride. However, it can be quite annoying when I'm not having a good day.

I'm not as slim as I used to be when I was in my 20s. I see it everyday.

I get it. Thanks for the concern. :)

5 comments:

KA said...

this post spoke to me! THank you for writing it! I totally understand what you're talking about! It's all about fair skin, small tummy, and perfect long hair. bah!

Kat said...

Last year I wrote a magazine column on this very thing. My family even told me I was getting fat when I was pregnant. With twins! *lol* Another one that a friend of mine HATES is, "So, do you have a boyfriend?"

Anonymous said...

I'm generally a polite, tactful person -- but not so much when confronted by someone who dares make an unsolicited comment about my weight. So one time this guy from college (whom I hadn't seen in years) asked, "What happened to your body?"

I replied: "Oh it's still there -- you can just see it better now."

(Yes, I managed to remain polite, even if he hardly deserved it.)

MadMuse said...

Hi, Katana! And I have none of the three. Well, I'm fair, but in the yellow sense. ;)

Kat - How about..."What's your salary?" Hahaha!

Gigi - Yup, he didn't deserve it. But then again, I'm sure his opinion doesn't figure much in your self-esteem anyway. :)

Lush but Lucid said...

Just had to comment on this matter, it's the same in Croatia, if you don't look like a model you are considered fat! When some people saw my wedding pic's they asked my mum if anything was new, people have no shame. So my dear wouldn't worry about people's comments, it's how you feel, these standars today are just not normal. Kisses Marina