Monday, September 11, 2006

Where Were You?

I was quietly sitting at my desk trying to start the day when I heard the news. I was working for a design firm west of Boston, and our office was already bustling with activity.

"A second plane had crashed into the World Trade Center," someone exclaimed. That was the point when we knew for sure that the first one was no accident. One or two people had casually mentioned the first plane that plowed into the World Trade Center but everyone thought it was a freak accident and continued working. A big television appeared out of nowhere and was placed in the middle of the office. Everyone left their cubicles and fixed their eyes on the biggest tragedy to unfold on American soil in a long time. After watching replay upon replay of the Twin Towers crumbling, everyone walked back like zombies to their cubicle - but no one could work. Everyone just surfed the internet - hungry for more news.

My phone rang. I answered to the anxious voice of my Mom, calling my office for the very first time. She had heard that the two of the planes used by the terrorists had come from Boston, so she was making sure that I was safely in my office and not traveling somewhere. Her relief was palpable as I assured her that I was okay. She hung up comforted, but still shocked at the enormity of what was happening in the world that day.

That was where I was on this day, five years ago.

3 comments:

Jet said...

Hi madmuse. We were still in Singapore that time... a thousand miles away but equally shocked and horrified.

It's been a while since I've been here. Musta na? Hope all's well. :)

MadMuse said...

Hi Jet! Good to hear from you. You've been quiet for some time now. I've been checking your blog periodically for some update.

All's well, thanks. I hope it is with you too.

Anonymous said...

Sleeping in Los Angeles. Getting some rest from planning our wedding which was 11 days away!!!!