Thursday, August 03, 2006

Birthweek

It's been a while now since I started celebrating my birth week instead of my birthday. It's because it's just hard to cram all the great things I want to do in one whole day, especially if my birthday lands on a weekday.

Greetings and Lunches
It has been an awesome week, really - more than I had hoped for or expected. Hubby surprised me with a beautiful and humungous arrangement of roses at work that everyone raved about and won him the admiration of my co-workers. He also prepared a wine and lobster dinner for me at home. All throughout that day and the whole week, I received warm greetings from everyone I loved via hugs, kisses, phone calls, emails and cards and got taken out to more birthday lunches than my weight really needed.

Dixied Chick
That Saturday, we were able to get suite tickets to the Dixie Chicks concert at the TD Banknorth Garden. The whole place was packed but we had a suite practically to ourselves. It had its own private bathroom, a living area, a bar and a buffet table. A glass sliding door opened to a small balcony with two rows of seats to view the show. We ordered some food and drinks and our friend, who worked as a restaurant manager in the facility, brought us a bottle of Pinot Grigio. When our original invitees could not make it, we invited a couple of elderly ladies, who were avid Dixie Chicks fans and had nosebleed tickets, to join us in the suite. Their gratitude and enthusiasm really made our night! It was a great show. I have always liked the Dixie Chicks because I love trio harmonies, but this show has made a ‘dixied chick’ out of me. Watching them live was really exhilarating!

Cake Fight
On Sunday, we had a co-celebration barbecue with my SIL whose birthday was a few days after mine. I got to do what I had been itching to do all week – and that is smother and mash the birthday cake on the faces Hubby’s four nephews and nieces right after they sang the birthday song. I had to run after them a little bit, but got them really good. In several minutes, the four of them were laughing through their frosting-covered faces. Of course, they exacted their revenge rather quickly and I found myself with cake on my face and whatever part of my body they could reach.

Let’s Go Red Sox!
On the last day of my week-long celebration, I headed towards Yawkey Way to the historic Fenway Park and watched my first live Major League Baseball game, along with Hubby, BIL and his son. It was a game between the Boston Red Sox and the Cleveland Indians. We had awesome box seats that were as close as we could get to the home plate without being in the field. Needless to say, our seats offered us the best view of the game. It was great to finally experience something that I had only seen on TV and in the movies before – American baseball tradition, complete with the vendors and their overpriced Fenway franks and drinks, the die-hard Red Sox fans cheering and booing, the baseball players spitting, grabbing their crotch and playing great baseball. To top off the experience, the home team won!

It was truly a fun-packed birthday week. We couldn’t have planned it better than how God made it all unfold. I have Him to thank, along with Hubby and my loved ones, for making it extra special.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, happy birthday!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a wonderful week (and you so deserved it!). Can I tell you what really, really touched me while reading this post? The part where you invited the elderly ladies to join you in your suite. It just reveals the huge heart and generous spirit that fills your entire being.

MadMuse said...

Thanks, Charl!

Gi - I think that nothing makes an experience greater than sharing it with people. Those two elderly ladies drove all the way from New Hampshire to see the show only to find out their $60 tickets were nosebleed tickets that only allowed them to hear echoes. They drove back right after because they had to wake up early in time for church as they were part of the gospel choir. I believe God meant those two extra tickets for them. We were just the messengers. We felt really blest seeing how ecstatic they were during the whole show. THEY made OUR night.

Anonymous said...

belated happy birthday, pia! it seesm like you had a great week indeed! :)

tintin said...

Belated Happy Birthday! What a fun celebration you've had.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I did NOT greet you on time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Happy Birthday to one of my dearest friends!!!

MadMuse said...

Ruth - Indeed, I did! Danke, danke!

Tin - Salamat! It was all a surprise. I couldn't have planned it better!

Melissa - Okay lang yon, 'no!? Alam ko naman na lab mo ko eh. Hehe!

Unknown said...

hehe. belated and blessed birthweek. while at fenway, i hope you didn't do like drew barrymore and brought a laptop to the game. that'd be sacrilege!

MadMuse said...

Well, Joel...not exactly a laptop but we were guilty of sending emails via the PDA. :) So not as sacrilegious!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pia, I haven't been doing my rounds...belated Happy Bday to you!

MadMuse said...

Hey 'Anonymous'...

Thank you! :)