Friday, April 21, 2006

A Late Bloomer

Back in high school, while all my girlfriends' bodies were slowly getting hefty at the right places, I was still a scrawny, little shrimp. I was short, thin and unladylike - Neneng nene! Definitely not ligawin like my friends, I was more of a buddy to the guys and often acted as their go-between to the girls. I was happy to help whenever I could and loved playing Cupid. But like any girl my age, I too had my crushes. Of course, the boys that I liked never gave me a second look. The very few that did like me never made a move because, let's face it - in high school, everything was about appearance and I wasn't really considered a catch. My singing voice was considered pretty, but not me.

By the end of my junior year, I was starting to get a little more attention from some guys. I wasn't used to it though. All those years that boys ogled my pretty friends I had spent daydreaming and creating in my mind my idea of how my knight in shining armor should be. Come the time I had a few of my own suitors, I really didn't know how to handle it and turned finicky. There was always an aspect or another that disappointed me. So as my girlfriends were going through the thrill of courtships and the heartache of breakups, I was the only one whose heart was yet unscathed.

I may have felt left out of the action then but now I am thankful that I was a late bloomer. I saw friends go through stuff that I probably wouldn't have handled well then. Later on in life, when problems did come, I was a little better equipped.

Oh, and of the boys whom I obssessed over but paid me no notice? I bumped into some of them through the years. Let's just say that our tastes do change and I'm glad that mine has done so for the better. I don't know what the heck I was thinking then! lol

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pia! thanks for letting me post you in my blogs..I really admire how you write..and I do look forward to it..
I too am a late bloomer, lam mo naman sa Ange, boys can be cruel..so now, looks who's laughing! tee hee! :)

skatey katie said...

hey
thanks for your kind words about my grandma..
i was a late-bloomer too, and i have a daughter who is about to enter womanhood.. it's wonderful to walk thru it with her, and to see her excitement.. it's a very special thing, here's to girl power !!

Tanya said...

hehe.. i know what you mean...

after some time then you bump into them old crushes.. then you're like "what the heck?" *puke* hahaha kidding! exagg ako!

anyhoo.. thanks for visiting my blog... i'll be updating my links once i'm settled.. for now it's wedding stuff.. and moving to seattle. :-p

hope you're having a good one!

Tanya

MadMuse said...

Joy - Heheh! Antukin ka ba? :P Para kang ako... haha!

Angelita - I've been looking for your link. I can't find it! Send it to me, please. Boys will always be boys! :)

Kate - Wow, that's a very special time! Wish you and your daughter the greatest mother & daughter journey through adolescence! :)

Tanya - Hahah! Well, maybe not *puke* but certainly *gag* or *shiver*! I like your blog, I intend to keep visiting! :)

tintin said...

Ako reverse, early bloom, early wilt hahaha!

MadMuse said...

Tintin - di ah! Eternal bloom 'ka mo. The perennial 13 year old ka nga di ba? :) Or was that 12?

Anonymous said...

Hey, P. Can't relate. 1st BF at 15 ... had a another one for 6 years (waaarrrkkkkk!!!!), then single and celibate for 12 .... got married at 34! Aga kumerengkeng kase, nagsawa tuloy! Basta, happy for you.