Thursday, December 29, 2005

Lightheaded

"Take it off. Take it all off!" That's what I said to the hairdresser the other day when I went in for a drastic haircut.

For the second time, I have refrained from having my hair trimmed in the last couple of years so I could reach the 10-inches minimum length for Locks of Love. Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that makes hairpieces for children who have long term medical conditions that cause hair loss. Hairpieces are very expensive and a lot of the parents of these children, who are already burdened with huge medical bills, cannot afford to buy expensive wigs for their child.

When the hairdresser found out that I was going to do with my hair, she whipped out her checkbook and wrote them a check for $40. She asked me to enclose it in the same envelope with the braid that I was sending. I was touched at how she jumped to contribute. I just wished she was touched enough to not charge me for my haircut. Hehe! Just kidding!

I now sport a bob and my head feels much lighter after over a year of wearing it long. My step is lighter too knowing that some child is going to have a wig that they so need, to not be teased by their peers for being bald.

I blog about this not to brag, but hopefully, to inspire some people to think about donating hair or money so a child' s already serious medical condition can be assuaged by not having to bear the stares of people for not having a head full of hair.

If you are so moved, their website has all the instructions on how to donate. Please take some time to drop by.

I hope you all had a great Christmas. Happy New Year to everyone!

3 comments:

LiberalArts said...

Picture of the new haircut please!

tigerlily said...

hahaha,was gonna post the exact same thing :) pic pls! happy new year, p & m!

MadMuse said...

I'll have Hubby take a photo and will post it. :)