Sunday, July 10, 2005

Careless Words

In the heat of the moment, coupled with a desire to manipulate a situation and lash out at anybody, someone accused me today of being a gossip behind my back. People can be really careless with what goes out of their mouths at the moment of anger. They start accusing other people of stuff that they are guilty of. They suddenly project to other people what actions they might take in circumstances, not realizing that not everyone thinks and acts in the same way they do.

It just saddens me that people are so foolish as to lash out like that. They don't realize that they don't win any sympathy to their supposed plight by acting that way. They go around telling their business to everyone that listens, and they fail to realize that they themselves are the source and root of the problem.

That's what I get for being a listening ear and a sounding board at times, as well. I should really be more choosy as to whom I lend my shoulder when they're feeling down. That same person who sometimes asks for your sympathy can turn against you, the moment that you say the truth that they cannot bear to hear.

The first lesson for me is, yes, to be even more careful that anything that comes out of my mouth cannot be misconstrued as breaking confidence. The second is, to agree to be a sounding board only to people who are willing to listen to the truth and humbly receive the counsel they supposedly seek.

--oOo--

Matthew 7:6 - "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. "

No comments: