Saturday, July 30, 2005

A C. S. Lewis Weekend

I'm having a Clive Staples Lewis weekend. I am listening to the musical, "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" that my friend, Lito composed and Trumpets put up in the Philippines for the first time in 1998. The musical is based on the C. S. Lewis story from the Chronicles of Narnia. I dug up my CD and listened to it again with fresh ears. I have always thought the music was beautiful, but could have been biased since it was my friend's creation and a Trumpets production. Listening to it now after seven years, and its music still manages to enthrall me. It also brought back so many memories for me of rehearsing and doing the musical, as well as the late hours we spent in the studio recording the CD. It was such a good musical that I hope other people get the chance to see and enjoy it. I'm praying that a producer will be interested to put up the musical here. It's timely since Disney's coming out with the movie version this December. I think doing the musical sometime after that would be a great idea.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tumnus and Lucy in Narnia

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

A Trumpets Production, Manila, Philippines

Another C. S. Lewis thing I am into this weekend is his book, The Screwtape Letters. He shows the same sublte but great command of biblical truths which he did in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, as well as an insight into the psyche of one whose business is manipulation and temptation. He starts off by saying, "There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about the devils. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other, is to believe, and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them. They themselves are equally pleased by both errors and hail a materialist or a magician with the same delight." Its protagonists are two demons, Wormwood and his uncle, Screwtape. Through letters, Screwtape strives to teach Wormwood how to exploit all the weaknesses of this "foolish two-legged animals" called humans and keep their mind on everything except God. I find Screwtape's assessment of man as so true that it has me burst out laughing many times.

I wish I had an ounce of the talent and sense of C. S. Lewis, or the musical abilities of my friend, Lito. I often wonder how people can be so talented. And even more amazing that talent, when used for good, can affect lives in such a positive manner. C. S. Lewis died seven years before I was born, and here I am still enjoying and learning from his gifts. I have no doubt that Lito is going to leave the same kind of legacy somehow, someday. The good that we do with the talent that God gives us will always leave an imprint in someone's heart.

6 comments:

Christine said...

hi madmuse :-) Did you know that the movie version of the Lion, Witch and the WArdrobe was shot here in New Zealand? Ala lang, nakiki-connect! haha

MadMuse said...

Hi, Christine! No, I didn't know that. Are the producers the same as that of LOTR?

Akilez said...

My Co-worker (his caucasian) said that he loves the book and he said PBS channel 2 showed an English version movie that was played by Tom Baker (i think they shot that in New Zealand)

He admired (picture) the stage in the Philippines.

MadMuse said...

How I wish he saw my friend's musical. It was really nice! Douglas Gresham, CS Lewis' stepson, even flew all the way to the Philippines a few times to watch it. He really enjoyed seeing it!

Anonymous said...

Hello MadMuse!!!! I'm an accidental fan of CS Lewis. Let me tell you the story.

It was 1999 and I was doing my Advertising thesis--(UP Diliman fine arts) At first I wanted to do the advertising for Trumpets Playshop. I went to then Trumpets HQ at Broadway Centrum and met Ms. Stella Sison to ask permission. She convinced me to do Lion instead.---Boy, I'm so glad she did. I met Ms. Luna Inocian and for the next few months, I hanted the office with my concepts, designs and storyboards for Televison commercials.

I wanted the play to have its own identity that even if you just saw the logo, you would know it was "Trumpets". I finalized the logo and during one of the meetings for the play's 2nd run Ms. Luna Inocian presented my logo and Mr. Audie Gemora--(later Teacher Audie to me at Playshop) decided to use the logo for the Print Ad and other collaterals.

I did audition for later productions but they wanted someone experienced.

I'm working for a real estate marketing agency in Ortigas now--still a graphics designer but I do miss the musicals. I did succeed in getting into a band--"Soul Cages"--pero syempre I miss the friends I made during Playshop.

Please e-Mail me sometime.
conbasman@yahoo.com

Lynn Sherman--(one of the original Jadis the White Witch) and I still see each other.

Oh by the way, I'm listening to the Lion CD as I am writing this. Wonderful!!!! Hope to hear from you soon.

MadMuse said...

Hi Conrad, I was no longer involved in the second run so our paths did not cross. Too bad! I think I was in the US already then.

I'll email you soon. Thanks for dropping by!