Thursday, May 26, 2005

Mutual Admiration Society

I was checking my blog stats and was so surprised that there was a significant spike to my number of visits. I looked at the referring page and sure enough, it was again the doing of Melissa (or AnP, to her thousands of readers). A lot of the Pinayexpat "faithful" were nice enough to drop by. Curious, I guess, to see what kind of friends she had.

It was a couple of weeks ago when Melissa and I were dissecting our friendship, and how it has survived all these years despite personal pursuits that took us to different paths. And yet each time we find each other, we pick up right where we left off and resume our little mutual admiration society. She and I are poles apart and yet we regard each other highly and enjoy our differences. We agreed that it must be because we gravitate towards people who have healthy self-confidence. Something we were both fortunate to have our parents instill in us. I guess that even at a young age, we both tired of "friends" who had nothing better to do than compare themselves to us or to talk behind our backs. I almost fell into that trap as there was a time when I was unwise in the company I chose to keep. But like her, I have a wise mother who put an end to that by encouraging me to be myself, and not to be too bothered about what these people say to me or about me.

I have found myself bonding more with people who share the same self-acceptance and assurance. They all are, in one way or another, more talented or smarter than me, and I am not fazed. Not only do I learn from them, but there is no insecurity or any ridiculous competition. Someone once made a comment that I was being snooty. I found that puzzling because my close friends come from all kinds of backgrounds. I even have those kinds of friendships where the person seems to need me more than they really care for me. I am only called when there's trouble brewing. I really don't mind being a "stormy-weather" friend but it does prevent the friendship from going any deeper.

However, I do have my truest friends who all have that incredible self-esteem, tempered with honesty and humility. That, plus a lot of respect make for that special friendship that is mutually satisfying...the kind that never fades, no matter the years nor the circumstance.

To my friends... Ano ba yan? 'Eto na naman tayo! Masyado tayong nagmamahalan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww... labs you, P!

Anonymous said...

Pia, online na 6th issue!