Friday, February 04, 2005

Break A Leg!

Well, this is it, folks! My theatrical debut in the United States happens today. It is community theatre, but is similar in many ways to my experience in Philippine professional theatre. Of course, the main difference is budget. But this theatre group, no matter how small has not balked in taking on a huge show, and it has done everything it could within its limitations. All the actors receive is a small stipend, but personally, I consider the experience really worthwhile and valuable, especially in terms of the new friends I have made. There's nothing like a bunch of people working together to try and put out something beautiful, for the love of the art.

Two and a half months of hard work, braving winter weather to attend rehearsals until late at night culminates tonight. Our show opens at 8:00 pm and will run for the next six weekends. Yes, I am nervous, not for me necessarily, but for the whole show. I want it to turn out as best as a big show in a little theatre possibly could. Pray for us!

Break a leg!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool! im proud! too bad i wont get to watch =( come to think of it, i havent really seen u perform =(

MadMuse said...

Well, hopefully, when you come and visit me, I'll be doing something here. I would always tell your LoloPops to tell Kuya before but I guess he wasn't the type to really watch those things and I doubt he passed along the information to you guys. Sayang 'no?

linnor said...

Hi Pia! So how did the show go? :)

Linnor
http://gratitude.fotopages.com/

Anonymous said...

Totally anonymouse and objective review...

I felt so drawn in to this story by the acting and singing talent of the performers, that I kept forgetting I was in a small playhouse that only seats about 200 people.

Peter re-invented the role of the engineer! He totally blew me away. Tina and Michael drew me into the turmoil of their situation. They have very good chemistry on stage, and it translates into some very memorable scenes.


Elaine, Jaime, Heather, as well as the chorus during the Bui Doi song showcased major singing talent.

Last but not least... the musical numbers were awesome. As I said earlier, I forgot that I was in a small playhouse, because when everything was over, and the lights came on, you stand in awe at what you just experienced.

Anonymous said...

P! am glad your back to performing :) No sense putting great talent to waste. Emjoy ur show and email us more about it. catch u in ym sometime! mwah! --lr & s~*

MadMuse said...

Thanks for the wishes, guys.
Jerry and Linnor, it went quite well, thanks for asking. :)
Matapoor, sana nandito ka!
Leeeee! Miss you na. I miss doing shows with you and the rest of the gang. Love to Skye!