Thursday, November 18, 2004

Getting My Feet Wet

A local theatre group was auditioning for their next musical slated for February. So I decided to swallow all the fear and apprehension I have had, snap out of my lazy stupor and 'get my feet wet' in the New England theatre scene. I could not make the regular audition as I was on a trip to Florida so I inquired about doing a late audition. They asked me to send in my photo and resumé and I was informed that if they failed to cast the roles during the first set of auditions, they would give me a call. On my last day in Florida, I got a call from the show's Director and she invited me to audition the following Tuesday.

Tuesday came and I was wired. I was also a bit feverish and it was probably due to the cold I had been fighting. Either that or, it was my fear manifesting itself. It's been years since I set foot in a theatre to do a vocal and dance audition. I didn't know if I still had it in me. I decided to toss all those feelings heavenward and just go. I am always in the opinion that things will always turn out as they should when you leave it in God's hands. What matters is I do my best with what I had been given at that moment.

Hubby and I arrived at the place and found it to be a charming little 200-seat playhouse that resembled a small lodge. It was very cozy and intimate and we immediately felt comfortable. I filled out a form and did the vocal auditions not long after. I was asked to sing my two audition songs and a song from the show itself. I could see by the look on Hubby's face that I was doing well despite my cold and lack of practice. We were then asked to move to the theatre proper to do the dance audition. The butterflies in my stomach started dancing long before I did and I tried to work them off by doing warm-ups. My muscles were as stiff as a starched dress shirt. Not only did I think that I was rusty in this area, I thought my jazz skills were pretty corroded. Having to memorize eight 8's of a dance routine in a snap is something I haven't done in a long while. Thank God that the Dance Captain was so nice and patient. By some miracle, I managed to pull it off. Again, the huge smile Hubby was giving me told me that it went well. M has never seen me do a dance audition and he admitted to being pleasantly surprised at what he saw. He's never seen me dance except in a goofy way or when I'm aping someone who can't dance. Yes, we've hit the dance floor in some parties, but that really can't be used as an indication at all.

Before we left the theatre, I was formally invited to join the cast. I was thrilled! M and I discussed it overnight and I accepted the next day. 'Getting my feet wet' during winter might not be the best idea but I have put this off long enough. It's definitely going to be a gruelling four months but very well worth the experience, I'm sure. I just pray for a mild winter season!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! Congratulations and best of luck to you, tokaya!

MadMuse said...

Thanks, Tokaya, Mala and Melissa! I am looking forward to the whole experience. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was back on stage learning the dance routine. I guess I can't call myself 'retired' anymore. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, you've just retired. Retired from being retired!
PiApiPs

... said...

Very cool Pia. Galing mo talaga.