Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Becoming Coupon Crazy

I used to only use the coupons for clothing, drug, book and electronic stores. I found that those were the ones that offered worthwhile discounts when we shopped, be it Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Borders, etc. Lately, I've started to pay more close attention to the grocery store coupons that I receive in the mail, especially after I saw a special segment on America's Cheapest Family - the Economides, a family of 7 living on a $35K a year with no consumer debt.

For about a year, I had been receiving coupon books from BJs, a wholesale club here, but due to my impatience to browse and cut coupons, I never paid attention to them and it went to the trash as fast as it came, along with all junk mail. A few weeks ago, inspired by the Economides, I took the time to flip through the booklet and cut coupons of the things I thought I might need. I brought them along on my next visit to the store. At the checkout line, I was amazed to find that I actually shaved $20 off our final bill after scanning in all the coupons I had!

I now use the pocket inside my bag to store all coupons and gift cards I have so I can pull them out at a moment's notice. I also google coupons online when I intend to make purchases. Getting the most out of our money is as thrilling for me as it is practical. With the price of oil inflating all other prices, it is worth the few minutes it takes me to check for coupons to get 5 to 20% off any purchase price! That's a few more dollars in our pockets and why wouldn't I want that? :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I havent started using coupons yet , however I found that people buy and sell coupons on ebay , you can buy hundreds of dollars in coupons for pennies , and sell ones that you would never use , the craziest thing I have seen on ebay was , Corn Flake Coupon with the space between words , yeah you can sell anything on ebay

Anonymous said...

And they say that there isn't such a thing as free lunch... with coupons, you can! Well, almost! :)

By the way, I tagged you.