Friday, October 27, 2006

Grammar gone wrong

Lately, I have noticed that my English grammar has suffered quite a bit. I used to be able to spot errors instantaneously, be it verbal or written. Now, it takes a few seconds before it registers in my brain. Sometimes, I don't even notice it at all.

Living in the US these last seven years has made me relax about grammar. People in the Philippines, who speak the language fluently will consider it funny when they hear grammatical errors. There, Filipino comedians doing a script with pidgin' English always elicit raucous laughter.

Here, one butchers the language and nobody gives a hoot. Besides, I don't think anyone can do worse than all those rap songs that hold the airwaves captive these days. So, I have taken to asking Hubby to proofread whatever I write, in case rap songs have made their permanent mark in the area of my brain where my linguistic capabilities lie, and manifest itself in my business correspondences and work projects.

Er...Hunni, can you proofread my blog too?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Piatot, I know what you mean... a lot of people at work in this part of the world doesn't know how to spell...maraming arogante, sa loob loob ko lang eh, mag kaiba nga tayo ng kulay ng balat pero mas marunong naman akong mag spell sa iyo :)... ( ps hirap mag type in tagalog).

Love Gina H

Unknown said...

i don't see anything wrong with your speling! :)

Anonymous said...

It is frightening sometimes how natural English speaking people are really bad at grammar and spelling. It is even worse on TV here with the likes of "Am I bovvered?"

MadMuse said...

I guess it's the same as us not bothering to be grammatically correct in Filipino.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are correct. It's exactly the same as what you had mentioned. Rap music has its own audience. And sometimes the music and lyrics don't bother to be grammatically correct. As a matter of fact, the lyrics and music are not supposed to be grammatically correct. In order to cater to its audience, the language is more of a way to SPEAK to its audience. That's the beauty of it, and that's what makes it into an entire genre of its own. Rap music would not have such a large social impact as it does if the lyrics were any other. It simply would not make any sense.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes, that's why I use www.gramlee.com.

Anonymous said...

I think "a lot of people" is plural. I think it's more appropriate to say "a lot of people..DO NOT KNOW how to spell"

Most of us how speak Tagalog do not really complete our sentences. That's one of the reasons why our grammar can be bad. But if we are conscious of it, yes, our grammar can be better than people who native English speakers. But Tagalog grammar rules are more complicated, that's why even we, Tagalog speakers, find it hard to be correct in speaking Tagalog.

Anonymous said...

Correction, I meant "But if we are conscious of it, yes, our grammar can be better than people who ARE native English speakers."

Sheesh, even I can appear to have bad grammar because of my rush to hit "PUBLISH YOUR COMMENT"

Unknown said...

I think grammar and spelling checking functions do help, but it does not make me lazy when I am correcting my papers.

Grammar Check