Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mother Said "Oops!"

I was an accident, the unplanned pregnancy after five kids (his, hers & theirs) - the "Oops!" My Mother said she and my Dad didn't plan on having any more kids after my fifth brother. I don't blame them. If I were in her shoes, I probably would have had my tubes tied by then. If I were conceived by a couple more modern in their thinking, I probably would have ended up in the bin of some abortion clinic somewhere.

Nevertheless, God thought that I should happen and I did. I try to imagine what life would have been had I not been around. Obviously, my parents wouldn't have had a dependable daughter, my brothers - an irrepressible sister, my nephews and nieces - a doting aunt! :) I wonder who would have been in my place doing all the things that I did in my work as a student, an artist, an employee, and finally, as a wife to my Hubby. He claims that he was bent on avoiding the altar until he met me. I have no doubt that he probably would have found someone eventually as I believe no one is indispensable. However, I do think that each one of us is irreplaceable, because we are unique and we leave our inimitable imprint on people and things.

If my Mother had decided to terminate me at pregnancy, life would have gone on for everyone else, but I do think it would have been different - maybe better, maybe worse, but definitely different.

Thanks for allowing me to make that difference, Mom. For that, I promise to strive to only make things better for everyone I come across. Happy Mother's Day!

5 comments:

bing said...

you are a noble spirit. there are cases i know where some people hated their mothers because of the attempt to do without them. but you saw it in a different light - that God decided that you should happen. very touching.

Happy Mother's Day to you! Your children are blessed with such a wonderful mom!

MadMuse said...

Hi Bing,
My mom didn't expect me indeed, and she probably wished at one point during her pregnancy that they hadn't been so careless. As I said I don't blame her if she felt that way. But she has more than made up for that all my life. Tough and gentle love, she's shown it all and never have I once felt that she regretted having me, even during the adolescent stage where almost all of us act up. I know she loves me but she always emphasized that God loves me even more.

And may your words be prophetic. That when God blesses me one day with children, that they would think they are blessed with a "wonderful" mom. :)

Happy Mother's day to you, as well!! God bless.

Anonymous said...

Ang galing naman...you are so gifted with words..if only i can be as eloquent..I am such an admirer ....thanks for sharing Pia!! :)

MadMuse said...

Angelita,
You're so sweet. Thanks for always taking the time to drop by and listening to my rants. :) God bless!

Anonymous said...

You really are something else and I must say the best Oops I've met in a long time! Just run into this, thought you might like writting here as well http://www.bostonist.com/about/recruitment.php
kisses Marina