Friday, February 10, 2006

From His Heart

Hubby wrote this as he remembered his Dad's very recent battle with cancer. The battle that he lost just a few months ago.

A son may never say much, but a son never forgets.

Crumbling Fortress

Memories of a past from long, long ago
Start to race through my mind
I remember you bigger than life, towering over me
I could dangle from your arms
Hang on every branch from your tree of wisdom

You wince
A lifetime of visions and expectations fade away
Reverie evaporates with every flinch of pain
The disease has stolen everything
My dreams will never become memories

My heart used to beat with gladness as you reached out for me in a greeting
It now falls deep into my chest as you reach out in pain
Why does my chest feel like a bottomless pit?

My fortress has begun to crumble
My tree of wisdom has suddenly withered away
Has my heart fallen so deep that I no longer feel it?
You reach out for me, and I find my heart again
Has my heart stopped falling?

No comments: