Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Around the World

Regaled with stories of my Mom's world travels when she was young, I had dreamed of traveling to different places ever since. Her tales awakened in me a keen interest in different cultures and in visiting as many countries as I could. The only problem was, I did not have a rich and doting father like my Mom did. My Dad was doting in many ways and he did well for himself, but he was not a rich man like my Grandfather. So it was not like he could send me on a world tour the way Lolo did with Mom. I often asked my Mom how I would be able to travel as she did. She often reminded me that even if my earthly Dad could not give me that, my Heavenly Dad could and that He will surely grant me my heart’s desire. I remember always responding with a sigh, hoping that she was right but nevertheless resigned to the fact that it may never happen. Me of little faith, huh?

Sure enough, I hit my twenties and found myself flying from one place to another for different reasons. Mom was right, God did make a way and my Dad was there to help me with some pocket money. In that decade, aside from traveling to different parts of the Philippines, I went to Hong Kong, China, United States, Singapore, Malaysia, Israel, Belgium, France, United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Germany and Indonesia. After I moved to the US, I’ve been fortunate to be able to visit some of its beautiful sites and cities, as well as see the Bahamas, Mexico and Canada. This summer, Hubby and I plan to hit the road again and head to Europe to see the sights and meet some friends. We are so looking forward to it!

We still have standing invitations to visit friends in Chile, Brazil, Sweden, Israel, New Zealand, Australia, Denmark, Singapore, Croatia and Scotland. I hope that we will have the time and finances to pull off a tour like that in the future. But right now, it remains a wish. This time though, I will neither sigh nor scoff. I have no doubt that if God wants us to do it, then it will definitely happen.

2 comments:

tintin said...

Come visit Texas too! LOL.

When I was younger, I was awed by my mom's travels as well. Egypt, Paris, Singapore. I used to tell my friends that my mom "had traveled the world". My friend said, if it wasn't the whole world, then it's not really the whole world. :)

MadMuse said...

Texas is on my list of US cities to see. :) I'll let you know when we come by. I want to have some real Tex-Mex! As for your Mom, she saw more countries than a lot of her generation did, for sure. Traveling was super expensive during their time. These days it's a little bit more affordable. Would love to see Egypt and the pyramids. One day... *not sighing*