Monday, December 13, 2004

Nice Earrings!

"Nice earrings!" exclaimed one guy as we were both getting off the train. I said "Thanks," and walked away trying my very best to hide my puzzled expression. No, my earrings weren't big at all. In fact, they were just your usual-sized diamond studs that a lot of women wear here. Either the 3 C's (cut, clarity & color) of my earrings really impressed him (right...) , or it was one of the funniest pick-up line I have ever heard. I guess I should be glad he didn't say "Nice blouse!" It comforts me that he was looking above my neckline - not that there's much to look at anyway. I called hubby at work after, to ask him what that was all about. He started chuckling and told me that he had overheard the guy telling me that as I left the train.

One time after work, I was walking out of my office building. This guy falls in step beside me and says, "Hi, Neighbor!" My first thought was this was certainly not Mr. Rogers as this was not his neighborhood. I turned to see this unfamiliar face. I smiled politely and asked, "Oh, we live near each other?" And he said, "No, I work in the building next to yours!" and gave me this huge smile. I almost burst out laughing but kept a cordial demeanor, found a way to excuse myself from the conversation and fall behind as we walked to the subway stop.

Another was, "¿Habla EspaƱol?" I said no. Still, I was subjected to a mostly one-sided conversation, in English, until I reached the subway stop. ¡Que Barbaridad!

If those pick-up lines were anything to go by, I am glad I am not a single person living in Boston. For a university town, you kind of expect people to have better lines than that!

4 comments:

MadMuse said...

Hehe..."ka pick-up pick-up" ng mga ka-duda-duda!

Christine said...

Hi there. Found your site through PinoyExpat. Cheesy pick up lines indeed pero at least you don't get winked at! I was at this seminar full of old, old men and while waiting for my turn to present, one old guy winked at me and kept on talking to me after my presentation! sana man lang kung cute sya noh! haha

MadMuse said...

Hehe! My sentiments exactly! Mga feeling, wala namang mga "K"... kakapalan lang. :)

Kat said...

I've actually heard the line, "Do you have the time?" And I thought the guy really wanted to know! *lol*