Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Thinking the Worst

I have found that thinking the worst of people and situations just makes one extremely unhappy and bitter. I'm glad there were enough events in my life when I made the mistake of doing that and it turned out I was wrong. I started to train myself to stop doing it because of how miserable it made me feel, and how it proved to be baseless at times.

Many times, thinking the worst serves no purpose. You start treating people with suspicion which definitely wins you no love and loyalty. Thinking the worst does not speak well of the thinker, either. Ever heard of the saying, "Thinkers are the doers?" I believe that a lot of times, the thinker just projects the thing they would do or say to the other person, if the situation was reversed. We all do glean from our own tendencies and experience.

Sure, there are times when the suspicion has basis given the track record of some people you deal with. In that case, then it may be warranted. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." I agree with that, although it's difficult for me to live it. I believe in giving people a second chance, giving them the benefit of the doubt. Why? Because I was given the same chance before, and it has built in me the desire to try and do the right thing. I've been told countless times that I am naïve. I think my naïveté will forever remain. I really believe that people will do the right thing if given another chance. And the few that do, are worth those that disappoint me again and again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

errmmmm... you have been present during my growing up years Ate Pia. :-)

MadMuse said...

Hahah! And so I was... and so were you during mine. ;)

Jet said...

not only will it not win you love and loyalty, I believe it will also cost you those you already have...

MadMuse said...

You're right, Jet. I've dangerously put some friends' loyalty to the test by my stupidity sometimes. I'm just glad that they don't hesitate to talk about it with me to sort things out. I was blessed with forgiving and straight-talking family and friends! :)