Saturday, October 01, 2005

To Trust A Boston Police Officer...

Today, after dropping hubby off in UMass, I drove to Chinatown to meet an old friend for lunch. As I went around for the third time looking for parking, I noticed a small street with some vacant spaces. I went around once more and before I got to the street, I pulled over beside a police cruiser and asked the officer inside if it was okay to park there and if it was a tow-away zone, just to be sure. He responded, "If there's a space there, then take it!" So I parked there, happy at the thought that I did not have to pay $5.00 per half an hour in some parking garage. After my leisurely lunch at Penang and some dessert at the Cheesecake Factory, I got back to the car only to find something orange stuck to my windsheild. Lo and behold, it was a $55.00 parking ticket!

I was naive to take the word of a Boston Police Officer. I guess he was right. I didn't get towed. He just failed to tell me that I could get a big fat ticket!!! My husband always said that I trusted people too much. Oh, well. An expensive lesson for me. One that I surely won't forget next time I try to park in Boston.

2 comments:

... said...

Aaaaaah....

You are experiencing the perils of owning a car.

I remember when I first lived in Oakland. I would budget in a certain amount in my monthly finances for parking tickets because it was just inevitable. Either there would be absolutely no parking, or I parked somewhere for too long, or something else.

Pretty soon you'll develop that eagle eye to notice that one persona pulling out of a space from miles away, and master the art of parallel parking in a big hurry.

:)

MadMuse said...

Haha! Yes, I have forgotten how to do that. I used to be a master of that in Manila. But it's been six years since then and I have to hone the skill again. Thank God, I don't have to drive to work everyday. I don't think I can handle having to worry about that daily!